Guide to Supporting the Mental Health & Wellbeing of Musicians
With nearly 70% of musicians struggling with depression, talking about mental health has never been more important in the music community.
Guide to Supporting the Mental Health & Wellbeing of Musicians is a resource developed by Function Central who are a UK based service who asked we share this resource with our sector.
The guide covers everything musicians, and those who work with musicians, need to know:
- The most common mental health problems, and causes, in musicians
- Healthy practices for mental wellbeing, like reframing unhelpful thoughts and practising mindfulness
- Where to get additional support, through the NHS, a charity, or privately
Mental health insights, includes:
- Artists and performers are 7 times more likely to experience poor mental health. In fact, over 70% of musicians have experienced panic attacks and/or high levels of anxiety.
- Musicians often feel unsupported with their mental health problems. 55% state there are “gaps in the provision of services for musicians”.
- How we feel physically and mentally are linked – 30% of people with a long-term physical health condition also have a mental health condition.
- If you have sleep problems, taking a warm bath or shower before bed will lower your body temperature and can reduce the amount of time it takes for you to fall asleep by 10 minutes.
Click here to visit there website.